Ah. 2020. Let’s see, so far:
- Australia was on fire
- Basketball legend, Kobe Bryant, died
- Social protests erupted over the murder of George Floyd
- Deadly explosion in Beirut
- Earthquakes in Turkey
- A locust swarm outbreak (let’s not forget the locusts)
- Floods in Indonesia
- Taal Volcano erupted in the Philippines
- The US government confirmed the existence of UFOs
- And, oh yeah, a global pandemic took over the world.
It’s been a rough year, to put it mildly.
But the resilience of humanity has been awe-inspiring in the face of so much catastrophe. The videos of Italians singing from the balconies during the lockdowns, or communities gathering to applaud first responders when they changed shift, remind us that there is still hope in the world.
Help in these darkest of days has arrived from an unlikely source: memes. Comedy is how you get through tragedy (we laugh so we don’t cry). And since November 3rd is just around the corner, and most people around the world are bracing themselves for the outcome of the US presidential election because it just had to fall in 2020 – the unluckiest year there ever was – we put together the best memes of 2020 that have gotten us through thus far, and the ones that will get us through whatever next global catastrophe awaits us tomorrow. We hope.