Vimi Joshi, Senior Makeup Artist for MAC Cosmetics, shares her beauty secrets, career highs, and favorite products.
When did you first fall in love with makeup artistry and the beauty industry?
I’ve had a love affair with makeup since I was a child growing up in gray England and watching the very colorful and glamorous Bollywood movies. I was enthralled with the magic and madness of it all.
Describe your career trajectory that led you to the Senior Makeup Artist position you now hold.
I was actually training to become a doctor and to work in the medical field, as this was my parents’ dream. I realized very quickly that it was not for me and that I wanted to do something that was creative. It was through divine intervention that I met my two best friends who worked in the music industry. One was the stylist for the band U2 and the other was a top casting director for all the pop music videos that took place in the early to mid-90s. I would spend my weekends backstage on music video sets and be fascinated by how the makeup artist would transform the pop stars with makeup. I knew then that it was what I wanted to do for a career.
Who was the first designer you ever did backstage makeup for? What was the experience like?
It was at London Fashion Week and the designer was Tom Ford for Gucci. I was assisting the key makeup artist and I remember how we all had to hold hands and pray before the show as it was Tom’s first collection with Gucci.
"To see a woman leave the makeup chair feeling like she is the most beautiful woman on this planet is priceless for me and it keeps me inspired and motivated."
You have worked with a lot of celebrities. Who was the most memorable?
I have worked with celebrities from Hollywood to Bollywood, rock stars to royalty, and each person has been an amazing and unique experience.
Makeup has transformative powers. What is the most radical transformation you’ve been able to evoke with makeup?
The most radical transformation is when someone sits on the makeup chair feeling really down and sad and through the power of makeup you can change her mood, mind, and emotions. To see her leave the makeup chair feeling like she is the most beautiful woman on this planet is priceless for me and it keeps me inspired and motivated.
What are your top three favorite beauty products?
MAC Fix+, Smolder Eye Kohl, and Zoom Lash Mascara.
What is one makeup item you never leave home without?
MAC Russian Red Lipstick
The quickest way to improve your appearance with makeup is…
Smile and put on a bright lip color. Instant glamour in seconds.
What is your favorite beauty trend this season?
Skin that looks hydrated, fresh, and glowing.
Do you agree that “less is more”? Do you ever see someone that you wish you could make-under?
I truly believe that make up is very personal and individual. I always try to celebrate each person’s uniqueness.
"I truly believe that make up is very personal and individual. I always try to celebrate each person’s uniqueness."
Please tell us your five makeup DOs.
- Do hydrate and moisturize your face each day. If your skin is oily, it’s very important to use a water-based moisturizer daily.
- Don’t forget to match a new foundation shade to your neck to ensure consistency of color.
- Don’t try foundation on the back of your hands. Just hold your hand to your face and see the color difference.
- Do remember to blend your foundation into your neckline to ensure that it is well blended.
- Do take the time to find your skin’s undertone. Most women are golden, yet they want a pink foundation that can look gray and ashy instead.
Please tell us your five makeup DON’Ts.
- Don’t hesitate to invest in a good set of makeup brushes as they will last a long time if you care for them properly and they will also help you with the finish of your makeup.
- Do take the time to try out different colors and textures with your makeup and see what colors work for you and what colors don’t. It can be so much fun, plus you get to see yourself differently each time.
- Don’t skip the lip liner if you’re going to wear a darker lip color, as it will give you a much cleaner finish and it will help your lipstick last longer.
- Don’t forget to use an eyelash curler to give you longer lashes that curl at the root.
- Do have fun and experiment! It’s only makeup and it washes off.
Photos: Courtesy of MAC COSMETICS