Unpredictable winters in Dubai mean that we’re never really far from a bout of heat and humidly, so giving your hair a little TLC is always a good idea. Free from nasty chemicals or harsh ingredients, these easy-to-make DIY hair masks are bursting with Mother Nature’s finest to nourish, hydrate, and moisturize your mane to perfection – in no time.
Since coconut oil exploded onto the health and beauty scene, countless celebrities and health nuts have gone coco-crazy for its beautifying benefits – especially when it comes to hair. Its fatty acids are deeply absorbed, leaving your locks feeling moisturized instead of greasy and, well, oily. It nurtures the scalp thanks to its antibacterial and anti-fungal qualities, and is great for anti-aging as it forms a barrier against environmental, free radical, and UV damage. Able to penetrate into the hair shaft, coconut oil helps add body to limp and lifeless locks, while significantly reducing protein loss to keep hair strong and shiny.
Similarly, coconut milk is amazing for the hair and acts as a deep conditioner, providing moisture from root to tip whilst detangling and repairing – so combine both coconut-based ingredients, and you’ve found a winner!
– 1 large scoop of coconut oil, ideally virgin (it’s solid at room temperature)
– 2 tbsp coconut milk
– Combine the coconut oil with the milk and mix well.
– Apply to dry or damp hair and leave on for a minimum of ten minutes.
– For a more intense, deep-conditioning treatment, leave on overnight before washing.
For a beautifying boost, reach for a banana. This yellow fruit is bursting with potassium and natural oils along with vitamins A, E, and C. It also contains over 75 percent water, which makes it a mighty hair moisturizer. Bananas also help to strengthen locks, prevent breakage and split ends, and encourage hair growth whilst helping to maintain hair’s elasticity. With a hint of honey – a natural humectant, meaning it attracts moisture – and a drop of olive oil (another hair-care superstar), you’ll soon have locks that are, quite literally, good enough to eat.
– 1 ripe banana
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 tsp honey
– Mash your banana in bowl before adding the honey and olive oil.
– Blend well to create a smooth paste before applying to damp or dry hair.
– Leave on for 20 minutes before washing out.
Avocados are amazing hair heroes. This tropical fruit contains phytochemicals, antioxidants, and amino acids to nourish hair cells, prevent and heal damage, and hydrate and moisturize locks. High in vitamins B and E, they are super hair strengtheners and help soothe the scalp whilst encouraging growth and preventing hair loss. With the added boost of egg yolk – which packs a serious protein punch and contains a whole host of vitamins and essential fatty acids to help hair become stronger and glossier – and a dash of olive or coconut oil, you’ve got yourself a natural way to get tantalizing tresses.
– ½ avocado
– 1 egg yolk
– 1 tsp coconut or olive oil
– Mash your avocado in a bowl before mixing in the egg yolk and oil, and stir well.
– Apply to your hair and leave for a minimum of 20 minutes before washing out.