October is a very important month for women across the globe. During the next few weeks, you’ll see a whole lot of pink popping up in salons, in stores, and on your beauty products in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month – all in order to raise money and awareness for the fight against breast cancer.
This particular form of cancer is the most common one amongst women worldwide, with one in eight women diagnosed with it in their lifetime. The incidence of breast cancer has increased by over 20 percent in the past seven years, now accounting for over 30 percent of female deaths in the UAE. What few know is that the disease can affect men too.
Of course, when it comes to the detection of any life-threatening disease, the earlier the better. We’re all guilty of procrastination, especially when it comes to not-so-enjoyable tasks like visiting the dentist or doctor. Screenings for breast cancer, however, should be at the top of your to-do list. In fact, 80 percent of cases are detected through self-examination! In an ideal world, women should be self-examining themselves regularly. Additionally, women over the age of 40 should schedule annual mammogram appointments.
- Using a mirror, look at your breasts to see if you notice any unusual skin dimpling, rashes, or swelling. You can do this with your arms at your sides, and then raised up high. Finish with your hands on your hips to push out your chest.
- In the shower (this is easier as your skin will be lubricated), use the pads of your fingers and a firm touch to move your hand around your entire breast area in circular motions, moving from the outside to the center – not forgetting your armpits. You’re checking for any unfamiliar lumps, thickening, or hardened knots.
- You can also check your breasts when lying down as this is when breast tissue spreads out evenly. Place a pillow under one shoulder, place that same arm under your head, and move the finger pads of the opposite hand around your breast area.
- Squeezing your nipples to check for any strange discharge is also a key part of self-examination.
- Be sure to remember that breasts come in all shapes and sizes, and it’s normal for one of yours to look and feel different from the other. It’s also normal for them to have naturally occurring lumps and bumps, so don’t panic if you do feel something. Just schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.
Beauty That Gives Back
Play your part during the month of October by splashing out on products and treatments that support the cause. Scroll down to see the five breast initiatives across Dubai.
This month, Estée Lauder is releasing a number of products in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and to raise money for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF). First up is the ‘Pink Ribbon Knockout Eyes Collection’, which contains everything you need to dress up your eyes and has the big benefit of donating 100 percent of profits to the BCRF.
With one bottle sold every 8.5 seconds, Estée Lauder’s ‘Advanced Night Repair’ tops the list when it comes to super serums. Working overnight to hydrate and strengthen skin, it supports the natural synchronization of the nighttime repair process to help turn back time. What’s even better is that 20 percent of sales will go straight to supporting the BCRF. The same goes for the pretty pink ‘Commemorative 25th Anniversary Pin’, which you can wear with anything to show your support to an amazing cause.
The Nail Spa
Giving back has always been at the heart of The Nail Spa’s activities and this, along with the tragic loss of one of founder Shabana Karim’s close friends to breast cancer, means that October is a particularly important and meaningful month for the salon.
From just AED 15 per nail, you can add a pretty pop of pink to your nails with one of the numerous nail-art designs created specially to support breast cancer awareness. Whether you opt for a little pink dot or faded fuchsia option, all proceeds will be donated to UAE-based breast cancer initiative Pink Caravan. Ten percent of proceeds will also be donated when you shop any of the pink retail products on sale. What better reason is there to get pampered?
Tips & Toes
Throughout this month, spoil yourself at Tips & Toes from, well, tip to toe whilst supporting an amazing cause. A percentage of every mani/pedi and 30-minute ‘Head, Neck & Shoulder’ massage will go towards paying for the full chemotherapy treatment of a UAE-based breast cancer patient by the name of Nahla Sherif, who has been battling the disease since 2014.
Not only can you help Sherif stand up to breast cancer, but you can also shop from the ‘Pink Bazaar’ that features items ranging from beauty blenders to phone covers – and all profits will be donated to Pink Caravan. And let’s not forget the amazing educational events that Tips & Toes is hosting in-salon later this month, during which experts will tutor customers on the signs and symptoms on breast cancer whilst teaching them how to self-examine properly. For more information and to book a spot, click here.
Containing andiroba oil and infused with organic rosemary and peppermint, this heavenly hand cream from Aveda seals in softness and keeps mitts moisturized. Look out for the pretty pink-adorned version as money from the purchase price will go towards supporting cruelty-free research through the BCRF.
Give your face a fabulous flush with Bobbi Brown’s ‘Pink Peony Illuminating Powder Set’, which comes complete with a mini blender brush, so you can blush up wherever your day takes you. The brand will also be donating a percentage of the purchase price to the BCRF.