When it comes to this season’s ultimate beauty trend, look no further than your own eyebrows. “I believe the natural, bushy brow trend is here to stay,” said brow guru Anastasia Soare, creator of best-selling brow brand Anastasia Beverly Hills, during a recent interview with Savoir Flair. “Perhaps darker brows will begin to trend, which always helps the brow appear thicker.” This is definitely the look of choice for the likes of Cara Delevingne, Jessica Kahawaty, and Sofia Vergara. (Click here to see which other stars boast big, bold brows.)
Microblading is the fastest growing brow treatment in the world.
If you haven’t been blessed with thick or big brows, don’t panic. Although there are now endless makeup products available to faux the fullness, there’s also an innovative beauty treatment designed to give you gorgeous eyebrows that will look flawless for over a year, taking the hassle out of filling them in day after day. “Microblading is the fastest growing brow treatment in the world. People who have never considered getting semi-permanent makeup are getting it done, including men,” explains Dubai-based brow expert Chloe Walsh.
Savoir Flair spoke to two of the city’s leading brow experts to get the lowdown on microblading, from what it actually entails to the effect it creates. Read on to find out more.
What Is Microblading and Does It Hurt?
“Microblading is a semi-permanent procedure that uses a very fine blade to deposit pigment into the epidermal layer of the skin,” explains Walsh. “Thanks to the numbing cream that is used, you’ll just feel a slight scratching sensation.”
What Effect Does It Create?
“The microblading technique uses the finest hair-like strokes to create very natural brows,” says Rowena, the resident brow guru at Sisters Beauty Lounge.
What Happens During the Treatment?
An eyebrow pencil is used to draw the outline of your dream brows, ensuring they’re the shape and size you want. This will serve as a guide that your therapist follows when using the pigment (the color of which is determined by the shade of your skin and hair) with the microblade.
How Long Does the Effect Last?
“The brows will last 12 to 18 months before needing a color boost to keep them looking their best,” recommends Rowena.
How Long Does the Process Take?
Approximately 90 minutes. Skin may be a little red and swollen for a few hours afterwards.
How Should I Prep for My Treatment?
Preparing your skin is a great way to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible and that you’ll get the best results from your microblading treatment. Here are a few pre-procedure tips to follow:
– Don’t exfoliate your skin or use skincare products with exfoliating ingredients up to 72 hours before your treatment.
– Refrain from taking blood-thinning medication, like aspirin. This will prevent bleeding and ensures that your skin isn’t extra sensitive.
– Don’t be tempted to tweeze. Let your eyebrows grow back as much as possible before your treatment. This will help your technician see your natural brow shape and thickness, and therefore find the best look for you.
How Should I Care for My Brows Post-Treatment?
Aftercare is essential, not only to ensure that your eyebrows look their best for as long as possible, but also because your skin will be sensitive and prone to damage if you don’t look after it properly. Here are the essential post-care rules to follow:
– Avoid makeup and harsh skincare products on or around the area for at least one week. This may sound hard, but it will be worth it!
– Also, for at least a week post-treatment, avoid swimming and exposing the area to sun and excessive sweat.
– Don’t pick, peel, or scratch your brows. As much as possible, try not to touch the area until the skin has healed.
– Once the area has fully healed, use a SPF (minimum factor 30) on your brows. This will prevent the color from fading, helping the effects of the treatment last longer.
Can Anyone Get This Done?
If you’re pregnant, nursing, or diabetic, you should avoid microblading.